Welcome to NewCarols.com, website of Gordon Thornett, composer and arranger.
If you are interested in new choral music – particularly Christmas and other seasonal pieces – please browse through the pages of this website, read through the scores, listen to live recordings, watch videos of performances, and find out how easily you can order (and in most cases download) any of the pieces that are of interest to you.
LATEST UPDATE The following new pieces have recently been published, and are available for instant download from SwirlyMusic.org:
Prelude and Cherubic Hymn – An Advent setting for choir, organ and orchestra, based on the ancient hymn, “Let all mortal flesh keep silence”. Score and parts available in print or for instant download. Commissioned by the John F Kennedy School in Berlin, and first performed in Berlin Cathedral in November 2017.
Star of Wonder (SATB, with divisions) Accompaniment is for organ or piano [Orchestration available.]
The Angels’ Song [“It came upon a midnight clear”] (SSA) with piano accompaniment.
Jesus, Friend of Little Children – for SATB choir with piano or organ. suitable for infant baptism and other children’s services. May also be used as a vocal solo with piano accompaniment.
NOTE – The above pieces are also available from Sheet Music Plus.
Another piece which has just appeared on Swirly Music and Sheet Music Plus is
It’s a Beautiful, Wonderful World – a simple song, inspired by a visit to botanical gardens in southern California.
“It’s a beautiful, wonderful world,
A world of wonder for all to share;
Let us walk together, hand in hand,
Spreading peace and friendship throughout the land…”
For anyone who uses J W Pepper, a number of pieces are now available for purchase through them. Just go to https://www.jwpepper.com/myscore/thornett. Watch this space for further news!
PIECES PUBLISHED BY ‘TRADITIONAL’ PUBLISHERS
- Oxford University Press [OUP]:
- See amid the Winter’s Snow
- Rise up, Shepherd (SATB, with oboe or flute obbligato)
The three pieces above are published by the Oxford University Press
[Orchestrations are available if required, from the OUP Hire Library.]
- Norsk Musikforlag:
- Shawnee Press/ Hal Leonard:
- Faber Music:
SELF PUBLISHED SETTINGS AND ARRANGEMENTS
PLEASE NOTE – Clicking on any of the titles below will take you straight to the relevant site, where you will be able to read through the score, hear a recording, in some cases see a videoed performance and, if you wish, place an order for printed copies – or an instant download.
- SATB settings:
- Guiding Star (SATB and piano/organ – orchestration available.)
- Christmas Fanfare: Rejoice! (SATB + Community/Children’s choirs – Orchestration available)
- Little Lamb, who made thee? (A cappella)
- Bright was the Star (SATB and piano/organ – orchestration available.)
- Star of the East (SATB and piano/organ – orchestration available.)
- Kling No Klokka [Ring, Church Bells] (Norwegian song, arranged for SATB + Organ – Orchestration available)
- Go, Tell it on the Mountain (SATB/Community choir -with piano, string bass and optional violin)
- Away in a Manger (the British tune, ”Cradle Song” – SATB a cappella arrangement, with soprano solo)
- Christmas Time in the Eyes of a Child (Mixed choir, SATB)
- Christmas Candles(Community choir [SATB] plus optional children’s choir, with piano accompaniment)
- Extended choral pieces;
- For Children’s Choir (Unison/2-part):
- The Sleepy Shepherd Boy
[Orchestration available from Swirly Music.]
- Christmas Time in the Eyes of a Child (2-part children’s choir)
- Christmas is Coming (original version)
- Christmas is Coming (secular version)
- The Sleepy Shepherd Boy
- For Orchestra:
Most of the above are listed on Sheet Music Plus and SwirlyMusic.org, where you can look inside the music and have a listen before deciding whether to make a purchase. A growing list of pieces is also available through J W Pepper. In the case of pieces published by OUP, Faber or Norsk Musikforlag, I’d be pleased to arrange for a free inspection copy to be sent to any choral directors who may be interested in performing the piece. Just drop me an email here.